Saturday, November 19, 2011

Bow Ties made out of Felted Wool Sweaters (Tutorial)

After finishing the Cashmere Neck Tie for my son, I started thinking of different things I could make with felted sweaters. Since I am taking part in a week all about bows over at Simply Homemade in the next little while, my next obvious choice was to make bow ties. I must say, I am absolutely smitten by these chunky little ties. And the fact that you can easily make one in five minutes makes them all the better!
Before cutting out your shapes, you need to wash your wool sweater and dry it. This makes it felt and it also becomes thicker so it holds it's shape wonderfully well. I got my sweater at our local thrift store but this could be a great project for an accidently shrunken and sweater done in a laundry mishap.
After you sweater is ready, cut your pieces. Because of the nature of felted wool, you don't have to worry about fraying so you don't have to cut any extra seam allowance to turn under. Just cut it the size and shape you think will look nice! As you can see, my shapes are two curved rectangles about 3 1/2x2 inches, a strip for the collar that is about 14 inches long and another small strip for the bow.

Take your two rectangle shapes and stack on each other. Tread your needle and push it through the center of both shapes.

Pull tight to gather.

With the needle still in your hand, wrap it tightly around the center several times.

Place the bow on top of the center of the collar strip. Push needle through both

Put the last little strip on the center of the bow and wrap it around both the bow and the collar. My strip is longer than it needs to be so that it is easier to work with. I just trim what I don't want after it is in place.

pull it tight and sew it shut. If you are like me, cut off the extra length.
Sew your velcro to the ends of the collar and you're all done! See what I mean? So easy and so fun.

In a matter of minutes, you can have a handful of handsome bow ties to dress your little chap in all Winter long!

19 comments:

Kara @ Mine for the Making said...

CUTEST thing EVER! Loving your blog :) Newest follower

Aria said...

These are adorable!! I want one for Max!

Anonymous said...

Perfect timing, I was just looking for Boy's Bow ties! Thanks for posting! I am now a follower!

Pamela said...

Wondering how they fasten in the back.

Pamela said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Jamie @ DIY Home Sweet Home said...

So adorable. I'm thinking I love your blog. I'm your newest follower.
Would love to see you DIY Home Sweet home.
Jamie
http://diyhshp.blogspot.com/

P.S. I have a linky every Monday. Would love for you to stop by and link up. Today's the last day to enter.
P.S.S. I have giveaway going on right now. Would love you to stop by and check it out. I could make the same thing into a headband for my girls. Thank you for the inspiration.

Rachel Sue said...

This is such a cute idea! I would love to feature it on Reduce, Reuse, Upcycle. Feel free to stop by and grab a featured button. Thanks!

Kate said...

Ohh I love these! & what a great tutorial---will def be trying these. Thanks for linking up & a new follower over here!
XO, Kate of a&a

Lindsay said...

I adore this idea! Thank you so much for sharing it @ Show & Share! I am featuring this tomorrow!

Marie said...

I love it! So adorable! If I had a little guy I'd be making them...maybe one day! So glad you linked up with us!

Marie
mylilpinkpocket.blogspot.com

Marie said...

I’m featuring you! Feel free to come grab a button!
http://mylilpinkpocket.blogspot.com/2011/11/show-share-15-features.html

Marie
mylilpinkpocket.blogspot.com

Jenelle said...

These are so sweet! I featured your tutorial on my facebook page @ http://www.facebook.com/trashn2tees

-Jenelle
www.trashn2tees.com

Naomi Jane @ Upcycled Creatively said...

These look fab! I have started using recycled felted jumpers too, it is a great material isn't it?

carl can said...

Your blog is very informative.This is obviously one great post.i keep on reading articles from here.thanks for sharing.. bpc training

Resweater said...

Thanks for the great tutorials! I featured them on my blog here:

http://resweater.blogspot.com/2012/01/its-tutorial-tuesday-make-cashmere-tie.html

lulu moonwood murakami said...

aDORable!!! and your kids are, too! Love your tutorials - thanks!

Herry Johnson said...

OffTheWood is a premium wooden adornment brand situated in Canada. We have an energy for outline and for extravagance take a gander at a moderate value while emerging from the rest. We have banded together with a producer that uses best in class innovation to make the finest craftsmanship conceivable while keeping the same steady exactness on each item. Our completing is high quality to bring the last touch and feel. We utilize the best regular wood in every one of our items with least wood control. Here are accessible wooden neckties, neckties, carefully assembled ties, bow ties, Handcrafted Wooden Bow, Ties wooden bow and ties high quality in Vancouver.

Anonymous said...

I was searching for this kind of tutorial. For some days my little brother want to make a bow tie. So I am searching for good tutorial which will help my brother to make a perfect Bow Tie.

You won't believe this Goshen NY house cleaning site info said...

Just in time! I was just scouting my favorite craft blogs for a bow tie so I can throw one together. Such a cutie!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...