Friday, June 17, 2011

Superheroes made from men's t-shirts

 My oldest little man has taken to all things superhero as of late, but his favorite of all is Batman. For a while now he has been asking me to make him a Batman costume so that he can show the world just how amazing he really is. At first I thought I would pick up some knit fabric at Joanns, but when I realized that even with the fabric 50% off, the costume would still be about $15-$20 dollars to make. Add that to the fact that they didn't even really have the right color of blue that I was looking for, I decided to take my money elsewhere. 

I decided on visiting our local thrift store and came away with a handful of mens extra large t-shirts in hopes of being able to refashion them into the dream outfit for our big boy. Thankfully, it worked as planned and we now have a Batman zooming around the house as happy as a clam! He really thinks that with his mask in place, nobody can tell who he is and is sure that he has all of the abilities as the real Batman. In fact, yesterday I watched him try to fly off the couch. Yowsers.

Since we have another little fella who wants to be JUST like his older brother, I decided on making a second costume for our little sidekick. My heart melts every time I see Robin zipping around in his little yellow cape!

 Our little Robin isn't so fond of the camera. 
These little costumes are so easy to make and are so affordable! Each costume took three X-Large shirts that I found at the thrift store for $1 each, making them only $3 dollars total. Each costume only took me about an hour to make so our superheros were ready to play in no time!
Here is a really lame tutorial on what I did:

Buy X-large mens t-shirts in your needed colors.
 Take clothes (in my case, I used pajamas) that they currently wear and turn inside out and place on shirts. When possible, take advantage of the finished edges already there on the shirt. Besides that, I decided to take advantage of the knit material and left the cape edges raw since they weren't going to fray. Cut each piece out and sew together. For the details I cut out shapes and zigzag stitched them in place on the costume. 
 For a more finished look, I used the collar from the shirts by cutting them out and sewing them to the neckline of the new superhero shirts.
Before you know it, you have the cutest crime-fighters in town!
Having boys is so much fun.
Pink Hippo Party








23 comments:

Ruffle Art said...

Very cute! I ought to try a superwoman one for my daughter!

Kammy's Korner said...

My boys would LOVE THESE!!!! Thanks for the GREAT idea! Found you at tater tots and jello!

Jaimee @ Havenwood House of Boys said...

These are SO so cute!! I saw you on Tatertots&Jello's Weekend WrapUp : )
Jaimee @ craft-interrupted.blogspot.com

Bonnie Weeks said...

Such a good repurpose! I love it. I'm sure they will wear it until you can't stand it...just like your little skeletons. :)

Rachael said...

these are so great! I'm pinning these, as they may be our halloween costumes this year!

Unknown said...

These have SUPER adorability all over them! Love that they are upcycled from old T-shirts.. you are a woman after my own heart! Hope you will share these super creations with my Pink Hippo Party @ http://pinkapotamus.blogspot.com/2011/06/pink-hippo-party-34.html

Unknown said...

Oh I love these! Thanks so much for sharing with the Pink Hippo Party.. can't wait to see what you share next week!

Skooks said...

How cute! My little guy is still just a bit too young for superhero preferences, but I can see this coming in handy in about a year. :) Thanks for sharing!

Sew Can Do said...

These are just adorable - my kids would love these. I'm featuring you at this week's Craftastic party. Be sure to stop by & grab a Featured On button:)

Unknown said...

Love these! And I featued them at my Pink Hippo Party! HOpe you stop by and grab a featured button @ http://pinkapotamus.blogspot.com/2011/06/pink-hippo-party-35.html

malia said...

All your costumes are so fab! You have a gift!

Lorie said...

So adorable! My son would LOVE this. And he would also try to fly off the couch in it. :) Lorie @ Reading Confetti

Catherine @ Cat on a Limb said...

How funny, I've been doing the same thing for my family's costumes this year, also superheroes. "Great minds..."! :)

Heather said...

I'm working on a superhero costume, too. Though my two year old has decided he wants to be a cupcake-saving superhero (I am pretending I didn't hear the part about cupcakes - all 15 times he has reminded me). Love the batman headpiece. Will have to try something similar. Heather@ http://diaperedknights.blogspot.com

funny t-shirts said...

very cute dress you have. I love super heroes. reminds me on my childhood days.

large men's shirts said...

Great article....!!!Nice to know about new things with helping concept.

t-shirts said...

This child with batman dress looks so cute and the style of him are so funny.. nice post keep it up dude.

t-shirts

Unknown said...

These shirts are hilarious. Actually, they kind of look like some shirts women wear today, even the colors. Can't beat the bow tie though.








Cheap Mens Shirts

Sale T-shirts said...

This is such a great post. I love these t-shirts. And really thinking to order for my boy :)

Unknown said...

Nice Costume is this!Loot Crate Coupon

shopfugnettiimages said...

Nice Blog Thanks For Sharing with us. If you car lover and lookung for a car printed t-shirts or car posters? then you can buy car posters
hot rods by boyd, ferrari t-shirts , laferrari poster and car baby clothes

Thomas B. Brown said...

Welcome to Time Will Tell #Clothing. Where We Brings YOU the Latest in Rare #Fashion.
Buy Men's Graphic T-Shirts, long sleeve #graphic tees mens, #champion dad hat, dad cap, men's fanny pack, and more
at : https://twtclothing.com/index.php/store/
We offers long sleeve and short sleeve Men's T-Shirts.
We also offer snapbacks and denim dad caps.
We do have an fanny pack line as well

Anonymous said...

Whether somebody pursuit of his vital thing, hence he or she desires to be accessible that at length, hence that thing is maintained over here: <a href="https://www.0stees.com/>www.0stees.com</a>

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...