My oldest little man has taken to all things superhero as of late, but his favorite of all is Batman. For a while now he has been asking me to make him a Batman costume so that he can show the world just how amazing he really is. At first I thought I would pick up some knit fabric at Joanns, but when I realized that even with the fabric 50% off, the costume would still be about $15-$20 dollars to make. Add that to the fact that they didn't even really have the right color of blue that I was looking for, I decided to take my money elsewhere.
I decided on visiting our local thrift store and came away with a handful of mens extra large t-shirts in hopes of being able to refashion them into the dream outfit for our big boy. Thankfully, it worked as planned and we now have a Batman zooming around the house as happy as a clam! He really thinks that with his mask in place, nobody can tell who he is and is sure that he has all of the abilities as the real Batman. In fact, yesterday I watched him try to fly off the couch. Yowsers.
Since we have another little fella who wants to be JUST like his older brother, I decided on making a second costume for our little sidekick. My heart melts every time I see Robin zipping around in his little yellow cape!
Our little Robin isn't so fond of the camera.
These little costumes are so easy to make and are so affordable! Each costume took three X-Large shirts that I found at the thrift store for $1 each, making them only $3 dollars total. Each costume only took me about an hour to make so our superheros were ready to play in no time!
Here is a really lame tutorial on what I did:
Buy X-large mens t-shirts in your needed colors.
Take clothes (in my case, I used pajamas) that they currently wear and turn inside out and place on shirts. When possible, take advantage of the finished edges already there on the shirt. Besides that, I decided to take advantage of the knit material and left the cape edges raw since they weren't going to fray. Cut each piece out and sew together. For the details I cut out shapes and zigzag stitched them in place on the costume.
For a more finished look, I used the collar from the shirts by cutting them out and sewing them to the neckline of the new superhero shirts.
Before you know it, you have the cutest crime-fighters in town!