Wednesday, December 14, 2011

Faux Union Suit Tutorial

Sorry that it has taken me so long to get this tutorial up for you! After losing all of my pictures from the first three I made, I sort of was dragging my feet until I thought about making a pair for my little three-month-old nephew. I now have made these pajamas in size 3-6 months, 6-12 months, 2T, and 4T. If anyone wants to help me figure out how to do a pdf pattern, I would be happy to share my patterns with whoever is interested but until then, this step by step tutorial will have to do. 

I was lucky enough to have a couple knit footed pajamas around the house already to use as a basic pattern. If you have a snug fitting pair already, just turn it inside out and place on your fabric and cut out your pattern pieces. The size that I didn't have around, I used a top and bottom set and measured the torso length to make sure it would fit the same. 
After cutting out your pieces, they will look like this:

Besides your fabric, you will need these:

The zipper I used on my last one was much too short. I suggest using zippers from 18-28 inches long.

Start with your long strip of fabric. This will be used as the trim for the neck and cuffs on the arms.


Then...
Set the sleeves aside and work on the main body. Be sure to line up the stripes when sewing your pieces together.






Place the flap about an inch up from the crotch and pin in place.
If you look closely, you can see that I sewed the closed edge to the body. Rats. I hate picking out seems on knit fabric.


Sew up the right leg.
Now put in your zipper. I have a zipper foot that made it easy to sew on.
Because my zipper was so short, it wasn't long enough to extend down the leg. But if you can get a long one, make sure that as the zipper goes down from the chest to the left leg, that you have it run along the last edge of the diamond piece in the crotch.

With ends folded in, sew on the neck:

My machine sews button holes (ignore the spelling error in the picture below) for me. All I had to do was mark where I wanted them, adjust my machine, and sew them in. I am totally spoiled. I hope you are, too.

Next are the feet. I am not going to lie, I HATED sewing these in. All four times. If you want to skip this part, just put more trim around the ankles and call it good. If you want the footed look, here is what I did:


Last but not least, sew on your buttons....
....Secure your flap....
and you're done! Hot dog! Now your little ones can stay warm and toasty all winter long! For more pictures, click here.

32 comments:

Jennifer said...

Fabulous!! Thanks for letting me know this was up! Looks like you could be selling these!!

Unknown said...

just what i was looking for!!! thanks!!!

Bree said...

You make it look so easy! These may be the cutest things Ive ever seen. I never really considered making my little guy footed pjs but I might have to try it now...
Thanks so much for posting this tutorial.

leslie said...

How much fabric did you use?

Richelle Nicole said...

Oh my gosh, these jammies are just so stinkin cute!! Do they come in my size? I'm loving the little booty flap, it just makes me smile!! Great job and fabulous tutorial, I need to try my hand at making a pair of these for my friends babies. Thank you for sharing!!
Rinni @ Rinni'sPlayground

minna k.s. said...

A-freakin'-dorable!!!! Love the fabric choice too!
http://feelinginspiredtoday.blogspot.com/

Make handmade said...

Great tutorial! i love it very much, thanks for sharing.

Ashley Williams said...

I want to make these in my size SO BAD!!! It'd be a fun present for my friends!

Amy @ Amy Giggles Designs said...

these are adorable!!

GretaB said...

Fabulous! Thank you for sharing the tutorial.

Dakota said...

Uhhhmmmm... I am going to pull my walking foot out and buy some knit fabric... and make these. In the middle of july.

Anonymous said...

Thank you so much!!! It´s just exactly what i was looking for!!! Now, let's do it!!

Vanessa said...

HOW CUTE IS THIS!?!?! Love this tutorial! (and your blog might be a new fav!)

Unknown said...

The feet are much easier to sew on if you sew a)the foot tops to the leg/body piece, then b)sew the foot bottoms on. That way it's just a pretty simple circle seam.

I love that you are brave enough to whip these up without a pattern. ADORABLE fabric, btw. So perfect. OH, and the fake potty flap? Genius.

Kasia said...

Thanks! I have to try to sew the XXL version 4 myself :) winter nights will be veeery warm:)

Unknown said...

Hi there! I found you through a link someone posted in a sewing forum that I'm in. I design sewing patterns and would be more than happy to help you create a PDF for this pattern. Please email me at fairytalepatterndesigns@gmail.com
I'd love to work with you!

Mich said...

Did you ever have any luck putting the patterns to PDF (or even just jpegs?)
I would love to make some footie Pyjamas for my baby-to-be and i dont currently have any to use as a size guide/pattern template

Sherri said...

Do you have the pattern available? I love this and am looking to make a 4T :)

Sara said...

Silly question... Would this work to make an adult version? I've been dying to have my own footie PJs but don't want to spend like $50 on them

Katerina Di Micoli said...

Hi, i really love it. Do you have patterns for sharing :)?

Unknown said...

Hello I was wondering if you wouldn't mind sending me the pattern for 6-12 months please. I'm really needing to make some sleepers for my little man.

Here's my email bones.joyce@gmail.com

seemesew84 said...

I love this! I added to my monthly feature!
http://seemesew.blogspot.com/

Unknown said...

What is he iron on interfacing for?

Unknown said...

What is he iron on interfacing for?

Stefanie said...

I would love the 4t pattern if you have it! gst017 at gmail dot com. Thank you!

Unknown said...

Hello, where can I get the patterns?

Anonymous said...

have the same question where can I get the pattern

Unknown said...

would love a copy if your of pattern please for sizes 2t,4t-8t if you have it but for sure 2tand 4t please. want to make for my kids for Christmas.

Anonymous said...

I would love to know where I can get the pattern for these please!!! These are the cutest pjs ever!!!

Unknown said...

Please email me the pattern for these pjs. Size 6 months to 12 months
deloris.roberson@gmail.com

Anonymous said...

Fab pjs. Feeling ambitious can you send me 6-12 mth pattern. E mail mitch.breen@hotmail.com

Unknown said...

Were ever able to create the pattern? If so could I please be emailed the pattern for 3-6 months. I would greatly appreciate it! thank you (:
sweetpeasmomma18@gmail.com

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...